4.30.2008

Day Six Hundred Sixty-Eight

I developed a new appreciation for the treadmill yesterday. Typically I prefer to do my walking/jogging outdoors purely because the beach is nicer to look at. But I needed to fit in a quick exercise session between the ten thousand things I did yesterday, so the treadmill was the best answer.

My normal treadmill routine is a thirty minute program that goes up a pretty steep incline and includes jogging intermitently for a couple minutes at a time. This time, though, I elected to see how long I could maintain a five mph jogging pace. I surprised myself by keeping it up for twenty minutes. It might have something to do with the fact that when I'm on the bike path and feel like slowing down, there's no threat of injury or death. So the secret to the treadmill? The fear of missing a step and flying uncontrollably off the back end like something from America's Funniest Home Videos. Hey, whatever works, right?

Went to a networking mixer last night and had a great time. The event took place at Lawry's in Beverly Hills, famous for it's prime rib. Only my second time there and I was already hungry when we arrived. The wonderful aroma throughout the place didn't help. We were treated to a great assortment of hors d'hoeuvres and I was having such a good time that I didn't really notice not eating a complete meal. Though I'm sure I took in my share of points with the stuffed mushrooms and salmon topped potato pancakes. But this fell in line with my new goal of trying to eat the bigger meal at lunch time and less in the evening. That's been working out pretty well.

Off and running again today. The bright side to that is that I'll probably burn more calories running errands and lugging around a forty-five pound three-year-old than I would staying home and taking a nap.

No comments: