1.28.2007

Day One Hundred Ninety

It's always nice when you learn a lesson in one aspect of your life that can be (and probably should be) applied to many others. I think that's what's happening here. This occurred to me after weighing in this week to find I'm back up .2 lbs, still hovering around 173. Now I'm not vain enough to be disgruntled by a weight gain of two tenths of a pound. What I'm hoping is that I'm perceptive enough to pick up on a trend and do something to change it.

I think what's being driven home in my head is not to get too settled. I recognize that I've become settled into the WW routine and have begun to believe my own hype. I've been on the program for over six months and my behaviors are starting to suggest that I'm good at it...or even that I've mastered it. Which is totally not true. But I can see the pattern now. Slacking on recording my points, treating exercise as a take-it-or-leave-it part of the program. And frequently sneaking nibbles and bites, all the while thinking to myself, "Oh this won't make a difference." These things all add up. It's not like I'm gaining by leaps and bounds, but taking a peek at the pattern of gain and loss, gain and loss over the past couple of months indicates that my current casual attitude does, in fact, make a difference.

What I'm learning is that just
when you feel like you've got it all figured out, it's time to shake things up. We tend to live our lives as though we're on the road to one specific destination. And once we arrive there, the job is done, the work is finished. Whether it's school, career, weight-loss, whatever. It's easy to look through tunneled lenses and think, "Once I get there, I'll be happy." The problem is we think we know exactly where "there" is and we're convinced there's only one road that leads to it.

I guess what I'm saying is that there are times when it's good to rock the boat. And it seems to be the times when we think we've "made it." If you're having that feeling about some part of your life, it might be a good opportunity to look at yourself from a new perspective. Achievement is wonderful, but too often it serves as a closed door behind us instead of an open one in front of us...a path to something new. I personally am very proud to say that I've lost 41 lbs. But I'm also proud to say that I've got 17 more to go, and I'm working on it. And aside from weight loss...who knows? I'm starting to see new doors open ahead. All it took was a little shift in focus and a lot of new love for myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think something needs to be done about that certain someone in the office who has personally taken the job of making BBW, a McDonalds Monday, Noahs Tuesday, Del Taco Wednesday, Carl's Jr. Thursday and bagel Friday. She's a monster. And we'll continue to gain until someone stops her!

Anonymous said...

No one ever arrives completely on this planet--even the Great Apostle Paul said it, "Not that I have already attained, I press on toward the mark..." We are all pressing on, each day at a time, marching toward something. When you think about it, that is quite a privilege...that we can DO this.
Do life.....