1.17.2009

Day 930 - Weigh In

Might as well start with the numbers, cuz they're good ones! My first week back to WW, I lost 2.2 pounds. Current weight is 185.2. When our leader Jim was recording my weight he said, "Nice job, Carrie!" I responded with, "See? I know how to do it...it's just a matter of doing it." And the truth is (emotional eating, life stressors and a genuine love for food aside), it really is that simple.

The good news at WW kicked off a really great weekend. Jon and I have been discussing throwing our hat back in the storytelling ring with a re-launch of StoryTunes. Everyone's always told us that doing the sing-alongs and working with kids is our gift, and I agree. Not to mention we really love it. We stopped performing when I got pregnant with Z. But now that he's four, he's at the perfect stage to become part of the team, and really benefit from it. So we're getting organized, re-connecting with our friends in the literacy community, and doing some focused marketing.

Right after the WW meeting, the three of us went to Wilson Park as invited guests of Southern California Live Steamers. Those in the Torrance and South Bay community know this group well. They have a beautiful property located on the park grounds and right next to the the train tracks where they offer free rides on their own miniature steam engines and electric trains. After a phone conversation with the president of the organization, we found ourselves at a board meeting and within minutes were signed up to perform on their next run day. It's an exciting opportunity to get the StoryTunes name back out there and to hopefully raise awareness of this great resource in the community.

As I was reflecting over the weekend, it was easy to get overwhelmed by all of the things we're involved with. Running PlanetZaya, trying to get back on track with The Shining Light Fund, Zaya's blossoming career, our continued involvement with First Book...not to mention that Jon and I have both been on the hunt for stable jobs for over a year now. And adding to the mix the rebirth of StoryTunes. Some might look at us and say we should be sacrificing our "extracurricular activities" and buckling down in a cubicle somewhere. And maybe that's true. We're certainly not sitting pretty on the financial end of things. But I can't help feeling that the Lord has opened the doors to all of these things as ministries. He's given us skills and talents that I don't want to waste. We have been privileged to make many new friends and touch the lives of all kinds of people each day with what we do. Not everyone gets to experience that. Not everyone takes the time to notice and appreciate what's around them, or is in the position to help give back. I'm thankful that we do.

So I'm on a good track right now, physically, mentally and emotionally. Sure it's easy for me to slip and fall backwards, like when I found out Jon's twenty year high school reunion will be happening this summer. My first thoughts were about how I would look, how intimidated I would feel by meeting and seeing other people from his past. I even decided at one point that I just wouldn't go, so as to avoid feeling all of those things. But that's not realistic...or healthy for that matter. And I don't want to go back to getting ahead of myself.

Life is what it is. A series of small, individual moments. They happen whether or not you're ready for them. Not easy, not pretty sometimes. And we don't always know how to do it. But it's the doing it that counts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and we are all doing it, one step at a time, one meal at a time, one day at a time, by God's grace. i love you, mapris