1.05.2009

Day Nine Hundred Eighteen

I'm back at work today. Wishing for about fifty more weeks of holiday, but that's slightly impossible. So instead I'm attacking the new year, new outlook thing. Got to work and did my normal routine, which includes filling the candy dish for our clients. I was looking at that chocolate and telling myself, "I don't want to ruin it. I'm committed. I'm committed." My mother-in-law would be proud...I'm investing in some positive self-talk.

I even poured myself a cup of coffee and used fake sugar so I could maximize the zero points value of the coffee. And when my boss showed up with a huge plate of cookies in all shapes and sizes, there I was talking to myself again. "It's not worth it. I'm committed." Amazingly, it wasn't difficult for me to get through these moments at all. I'm looking forward to being closer to a comfortable place in my body. Where the clothes fit right and I don't feel as sluggish.

A friend came by over the weekend and was telling me that she and her husband are joining WW. They have both gained weight over the past few years and had a rude awakening when they found out a cousin had just passed away suddenly. She said seeing and talking to the widow, who is understandably devastated, caused my friend and her husband to sit down and say to each other, "I don't want to go through that. I know there are circumstances beyond our control, but there are other things we can do to be healthier." And I wholeheartedly agree.

This discussion reminded me of the reason I joined WW in the first place. I want to be healthy. For me, for my husband, for my son. For all the things I've yet to do in life. I remember how good I felt when I got close to my goal weight, how much fun it was being more active with my family. Trying on new clothes, even when I didn't buy anything. How much more open I was to new experiences. And I want to get back to that. That's why I'm committed. Because I am important...to myself.

So 2009 is off and running, and so am I. Literally, figuratively, in every way I can. Gettin' back in the rhythm and I couldn't be happier about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am proud. You can do it. You are doing it. We are doing it.