1.28.2009

Day Nine Hundred Forty-One

I JUST COOKED A MEAL!

For those of you that really know me, this is a big deal. I have several things working against me when it comes to cooking. First, I never really learned how - that's the bigee. I've dabbled with baked goods, I've heated up plenty of pre-prepared dishes from Trader Joe's and I've mastered a couple of things in the crock pot. But until today I had never done what I consider actual "cooking" before. Where you start with frozen meat of some kind, defrost it, brown it and then combine it with some other ingredients to create a meal.

The other factors that contribute to my absence from the kitchen are all the same complications everybody else deals with. Part-time job, chasing an energetic kid, household chores, running several entrepreneurial endeavors. But somehow others seem to find the time to do all that stuff and cook. In thirty-three years, I haven't quite figured that one out.

Needless to say (though I'm going to say it anyway), I didn't exactly tackle a gourmet masterpiece for my first time around. I found a WW recipe online that we had most of the ingredients for already and decided to give it a shot. Oven baked turkey flautas (or chimichangas, depending on what light you look at them in). The whole thing took about 25 minutes from start to finish and was pretty darn tasty. Of course Jon may have only agreed with the tasty part so as not to completely crush my ego, but even that would be ok. I'm proud of myself anyway.

The thing that surprised me about the whole experience was that I actually enjoyed it. The story might be different if I had to put on a four course meal, but overall I was calm, confident and found it a little...dare I say FUN?

The bottom line is that I felt pretty good about feeding my family. Though technically I only fed Jon and myself because Z refused to eat, then ended up stuffing his face full of dehydrated apples and goldfish crackers, but that's another blog entry entirely.

I should also throw out there that this in no way means I'm gonna have the time to make this a daily thing. And my hat's off to all you ladies and men out there who are able to do that. Kudos, praise and all that jazz, man. But nevertheless it's a start, and I'm kind of excited about seeking out new recipes.

Ok, excited is a strong word. Let's start with "positive." I can think positive thoughts about finding recipes and doing more cooking.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sounds good Carrie! and congrats. i am guessing they were burrito-like little fellas that were baked? cool.
yes, children and their eating habits.goldfish and dehydrated apples sound good to me all the time, though.
cooking is fun sometimes, and as a ww'er you know exactly what you are eating...knowledge is power! power is weight loss....guess i should start counting points.

JP said...

Dearest wife,

First, thank you for cooking. It helps me a lot. Second, the little mini-chimi's were fabulous.
They are keepers so file that in your little recipe box.

Here's to more recipes! What an exciting day.

Anonymous said...

Cooking...yes, I totally don't do it every night and these days, hardly ever. I'd much rather eat something someone else cooks though! So anytime you want to cook for me, I'll eat it. :)

I'm inspired by you to start eating right. It has been a struggle for me over the past 10 years and I'm not exactly comfortable talking about it openly with most people. I'm sometimes a little embarrassed to see what I use to look like and what I look like now BUT, knowing that you have the same struggles and doing things to over come them really helps me out!

Thanks Carrie.

-C

Carrie said...

C-

It's a struggle for me too. Always has been, always will be. I had to accept that when I committed to WW.

I know exactly what you mean. Seeing old pictures of me makes me cringe. Even sadder than that, watching my wedding video makes me cry, and not for the good reasons. I feel like I was this happy, smiley Carrie all the time hiding in a fat suit to cover up all that was going on inside of me. And it worked, for other people. But I couldn't hide from myself.

Having a child and a family makes me want to be healthy moreso than just get thinner. I want us all to enjoy a long healthy life. But there's still that secret, selfish side of me that wants to be the girl that turns heads when she walks into the room. I don't know if that will ever happen. But in the meantime, I'm glad to be taking better care of myself.