10.16.2007

Day Four Hundred Seventy-Two

Z turned three years old yesterday and we celebrated by...what else? EATING! Actually, we took him to Disneyland for the day, got him his own annual pass, watched as he gave Mickey a kiss on the nose, rode a few rides and picked up some gifts. But yes, there was a fair amount of food involved. This is a good opportunity to explain how the mind works regarding WW and making food choices. Let's recap the day, shall we?

Lunch was at Carnation Cafe. Seeing how I knew we'd be splurging for dinner, I kept it light. Half of a smoked turkey sandwich, no mayo, a cup of vegetable soup and some of Zaya's carrots.

Later in the day, we headed over to California Adventure and straight to the Mission Tortilla Factory. For those who don't know, it's a working factory that produces fresh tortillas daily. Sometimes corn, sometimes flour (mmmmm). You can take a mini-tour and pick up a free, warm, yummy tortilla on your way out. The secret is that on your birthday, you get a whole package of free tortillas! And yesterday was FLOUR DAY!! Despite the fact that I wanted to eat the whole bag, I just had one.

Then came dinner, our first visit ever to Goofy's Kitchen. Did I mention it's a BUFFET? Didn't know that when we got there, but that was not a problem for us. Let the sampling begin! Started with broccoli salad with balsamic vinaigrette and feta cheese, wild rice salad with corn and black bean soup. Continued on to the chicken and pesto pizza, shrimp-stuffed sole, chicken breast, garlic mashed potatoes, prime rib, pork loin and a taste of tortellini alfredo. And what birthday would be complete without the sweet stuff...chocolate caramel tart, chocolate chip cookie pizza, tiramisu, and chocolate caramel eclairs.

Here is the beauty of WW. While it may sound like I gorged myself, I really just had a few bites of each item. Enough to taste and really appreciate the flavor of the food without overdoing it. It was a lot of fun. Jim has talked about buffets before and we've discussed how scary they can be for those who struggle with their weight. But they're nothing to be afraid of. I feel great that I got to taste so many wonderful things and leave without feeling a hint of guilt. Sure, I'll probably step up the exercise this week, but I'm not worried about it.

Happy Birthday, Z, my big beautiful preemie boy. I love you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"my big beautiful preemie boy"


...What's funny is, that's what Amy calls me...for different reasons though.