10.04.2007

Day Four Hundred Sixty-One


"After ten sessions you'll notice a difference,
After twenty, other's will notice...,
After thirty you'll have a whole new body..."


- Joseph Pilates

So Jon came home with this Pilates DVD from the library a few months ago and he's been following the exercises a couple of times a week. I had no interest in watching it, let alone trying it, so I wrote it off as another one of those things that just "wasn't me."

But as I get closer to my goal, I realize that just losing another eight pounds isn't gonna cut it for me. Quite frankly there's more than a bit of toning up that needs to be done. And I realized I want my whole body to be healthy. So I decided to give this Pilates thing a try.

When I told Jon I really wanted to put in some effort, he went back to the library and unknowingly came home with the very same DVD he had checked out before. I probably should have specified a BEGINNER level program, but I didn't think about it at the time. For two weeks I watched the "Hilary Burnett's Pilates Intermediate" disc sit on the shelf above the tv. Old Carrie would have let that thing sit another week until it was due and went back to the library. Wasn't like we paid for it or anything.

But this isn't old Carrie anymore. One day I finally picked up the disc, put it the the DVD player, pulled out a floor mat and followed the entire program. The first thing I learned is, pilates is no joke. There's some serious work involved. I had more sweat pouring off of me than I usually do during a beach run. What is described as "exercises powered by breath, flow and centering" feels more like getting hit in the stomach by a MAC truck. I also discovered that while my version of the workout may not have looked as graceful as Hilary Burnett's, it felt great to be engaging muscles that have received zero attention in the past.

Having done the workout a second time, I know something's happening. I don't know what the results will look like on me physically, but I want to stick with it to find out. Stay tuned...

No comments: