10.08.2006

Day Ninety-Nine

Before starting WW, 99 days felt like SUCH a long time. Tonight I sit here wondering how 99 days got past me without me noticing. So far, this journey has far exceeded my expectations, so I'm definitely committed to the next 99 days.

Did my three miles on the treadmill in 49.22 minutes. I'm glad that I've acquired a love for the treadmill. It's a totally different love than that for the outdoor walks, but it's a necessary love. Oh, and I had a King's Hawaiian Chinese Chicken Salad for dinner...a very tasty treat. Sure I would rather have ordered something that came with a heaping scoop of potato/mac salad, but the salad was a pleasant surprise.

I was sharing a story with J recently that I'm just now realizing really belongs here. A few years ago, Jon and I were applying for health insurance. Something I'd done before and figured, despite the hassle of endless forms, wasn't really that big of a deal. I'd always been healthy (or so I thought), no major medical problems or incidents. So imagine my surprise when we receive our rejection letter in the mail. And imaging the complete shock and awe on my face when I read the reason, which was of course, directly related to me: "medical obesity."

OBESE?!?! I had thought that word was reserved for people who were at least 400 lbs. and homebound. I mean, I was never deluded enough to think I was skinny, but obese? That just seemed so harsh. Not only that, my obesity was preventing myself and my husband from having access to health care. Talk about feeling guilty. I cried for twenty minutes after reading the letter a dozen times. And then I hung my head in shame for about a week.

I've said before that one of my favorite things about WW is getting educated. And that's what I needed. Sulking around and feeling sorry for myself wasn't going to ever take any weight off. Since being on the program, I'm able to approach weight loss from a much more scientific standpoint. I understand now what medical obesity really is (though I still despise that word). I know a lot more about the foods I was allowing into my body and the difference that healthy choices can make. I have a new love/hate relationship with exercise, which has replaced the hate/hate one. I've learned so much.

Yes, 99 days. You'd be amazed what can happen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are amazing :-)
Really putting it out there. Excellent.