11.01.2006

Day One Hundred Twenty-Three

Have you taken a look at your calendars, people? IT'S NOVEMBER! How did this happen? It's been over a week since my last post, which should give you a glimpse of what October was like for me. For all the planning and preparations, it was a great month, filled with lots of reasons to be thankul. Pass the Light was beyond what I had expected, Z's birthday was a blast and he definitely can't complain...we're STILL opening gifts and filling up the recycle bin with cardboard packaging! Not to mention our second consecutive year of participation in Make a Difference Day, gathering with a group of really supportive people to do some good. Throughout the month, everything was moving so fast, I found myself just looking to get to the next thing. That was, of course, until Elena stepped in with this much needed reminder of why we do what we do.

So in the midst of all the chaos, something had to give. Unfortunately it was WW. Not that I've fallen completely off the wagon. But the past few weeks have been filled with "convenient eating," no tracking my points, way less exercise, that sorta thing. Which is probably another reason I haven't been blogging...didn't want to get discouraged by seeing it all there in black and white.

Naturally, based on recent behavioral slips, I was expecting the worst on weigh-in day. I was looking to have gained about five pounds or so. Actually, what I told Jon was, "I'll be happy if I've gained less than five pounds, but I'm expecting it to be closer to ten." When I got to WW, I immediately told Jim that it wasn't going to be pretty. I step on the scale and he says, "Well, it could be a lot worse." Up only 0.2lbs! I couldn't believe it. I'm sure there were other WWers who came in that morning and were discouraged to be up 0.2, but I drove home smiling and upon entering the house announced that I had never been so happy to gain weight! And it was completely true.

So here it is, November. The start of a season of eating for everyone. But I'm excited because this is my get-back-on-track month. Literally, with tracking my food intake. It just has to be done. I can tell myself all I want that I'll remember what I ate and account for it later, but writing it down is what really works. And staying committed to exercise is key. What's nice is that I actually look forward to opportunities for activity now, I don't run from them. So I'm more inclined to keep the commitment. I'm not gonna let the Thanksgiving turkey and Christmas ham wear me down.

Welcome to a new day. Each one is a blessing. I've taken inventory of all the previous days and put them in their place where they add up to exactly where I am right at this moment. The key is to make sure they stay in their place and aren't allowed to redirect my future. My past is part of me, but I am not my past. I am my right now.

No comments: