9.02.2006

Day 64: Weigh In

So I stand corrected. We're not in Fresno, we're in Clovis. Had a nice drive up, the hotel is great. Spent the afternoon and evening with the Goodman and Gelardi families - really great people. It was an honor to be allowed the chance to witness the run through at the rehearsal and even more of an honor to have dinner and hear the bride and groom share sincere sentiments about their family and friends.

We ate at this great Mexican food place. On the way there I was trying to figure out what I could eat to stay within my daily points. When we arrived, Jon said, "let's just enjoy ourselves, not count points for the night." I struggled for a minute, then realized he was right. This WW journey is for the long haul. I shouldn't be trying to race through it to lose weight as fast as I can. I should take the time to enjoy the ride, and the celebratory moments, like tonight. And I'm glad I did.

I just realized I have yet to mention my weigh in today. I lost exactly 1 pound this week, for a grand total of 25.6. When you reach big milestones, like 25 and 50 pounds you get a WW magnet for the fridge. When I received my magnet today, I smiled because it says "I Did It!" It's a great reminder that I really did do it. Our leader Jim was asking about how we can ensure that we make it to our goal, to complete the rest of the picture that we have of ourselves as we'd like to be. Hands went up and people mentioned all of the important components of the program; counting your points, making exercise a priority, thining positively. All absolutely true. But for me the key has been reminding myself how far I have come. Considering that I never anticipated I could succeed at this, 25 pounds is simply amazing. It's not only a number that others pay attention to, it's a number that I pay attention to and that will motivate me to keep going.

There was a girl at the meeting today that I don't remember seeing before. She looked young. When Jim asked us what we hoped to accomplish on WW, she raised her hand and said that when she walks into a room, she doesn't want to be stared at. That really hit home for me. That's the mental part of struggling with your weight. I've felt exactly the same way. Even though I know it's probably not true, people are not always seeing my fat before they see me. But that's the way it feels. I felt so bad for this girl. And I hope that she keeps coming, that she commits to the program with her whole heart and celebrates her achievements. It is one of the hardest but most rewarding things she'll ever do.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stel hopes she comes back too. Maybe if she returns Stel will ask if she can give her the hug Stel wanted to give her Saturday morning.
We must keep going on. The worst thing that can happen on this program is not overeating once in a while, getting discouraged, feeling disappointed, feeling frustrated, it is STOPPING. IT IS GIVING UP. We MUST forge on no matter what. Period. Over and Out. Congrats on the big 25. THAT'S HUGE--PUN INTENDED.