9.11.2006

Day Seventy-Three

Good story. I wasn't feeling great Friday morning and called in sick to work. Just the prior day, I was at work and my boss got dropped off by a friend of hers. A friend who hadn't seen me in about five months. When I get to work this morning, she tells me she was really worried about me Friday. "Why?" I asked. She said when her friend had dropped her off the other day, he asked her if I was okay because I'm "so thin." Apparently I am wasting away. :-)

As I'm sure it was for most people, today was a hectic Monday, but also a day for reflection. September 11th, we all hope there will never be a date that hangs as heavy as this one does. Jon and I were watching some of the documentary footage about the planning and construction of the World Trade Center memorial. We were equally annoyed by all of the suits and ties in a meeting about rebuilding what once was the subway station and underground shopping mall, talking about how the site still has a gray and gloomy feeling. "It still feels tragic," said one of these high-priced marketing geniuses. Yes, that's because it is. And it always will be. And if you don't get that, you have no businesses working on the project.

That's what you get for today. One funny story and a rant. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stel remembers the day. She called her supervisor and told her she couldn't go into work that day. Couldn't do normal stuff when the day was so not normal. Tough to watch the memorials, but heartened to see such great Americans being just that: great Americans, great people who do what is needful in the moment. I hope we all have that deep within us.....I kinda think we do. PTL.
Regarding wasting away...what a cool comment--I guess the friend remembers you as robust! Stel went yesterday to visit a school where she worked about five years ago, and they were in shock and awe. Stel was glad. WW works.
God bless you and God Bless WW and God bless America!

Ogre said...

If someone could truly waste away I would love to see it. I want to be there that moment they vanish from this planet and never return. That is worth $39.95 Pay Per View imho.

I understand what the business people were saying about the site though. While we need to remember all the people who lost their lives that day and honor them we have to move on. Making a shopping mall while still having a gloomy feeling would not be advisable because the businesses in the mall would suffer. Would you shop in a place that always had a constant feeling of death and tragedy?

In time and through the coming generations the feeling will be lost as everyone will become desensitized to the events of 9/11. It is just a part of human nature. The farther removed we are from an event the less of an impact it will have.