8.12.2006

Day 43: Weigh In

Y'know ever have one of those days with one shock after another? Today was that day for me. The first shock was weighing in at our WW meeting and finding out I'm down 17.2 lbs. I lost 3.4 lbs. this week and received another little red bookmark, which is prominently displayed on my bulletin board. They're lining up, with more to come!

We had a really fun meeting and then at the end, received the second shock. Mary, our leader, is leaving WW. With good reason, I might add, she's got a great career opportunity, one of those things she can't (and shouldn't) pass up. But she will be sorely missed. I only got to know her over the past six weeks, and even I'm feeling the loss. Mary is an inspiration, and as Mama said at the meeting today, we will all continue on this program in honor of her and all of the others in our lives who are so supportive and loving.

Speaking of support, I know I've mentioned before how important it is to have someone behind you. I'm very fortunate that Jon takes every step by my side, as well as Mama, and several friends. And then there are the moments when someone reaches out in a really special way and the encouragement is overwhelming. Kinda like this message I received last night:
"I just wanted to let you know that I have been checking in very regularly on your Weighing In blog. I have smiled at the wonderful things you have found to be proud of. I have cried reading some of the thoughts that I have lived with in myself for so so long, realizing that I had never considered that you might feel the same way. I have always been in awe of you, never occured to me that you werent too. I am SO drastically proud of you and what you guys are doing."
There are no words to express how much this means to me. God strategically places people in my life, at the right times, and I am blessed beyond measure.

Thank you for sharing the journey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As we inspire others, they inspire us. Kinda neat. Always have loved Aunt Wendy--She is the kind of person that makes individuals feel cared for and safe. Stel will miss Mary terribly--Stel is in denial, really, she is. Although no one can replace Mary, I am sure she will have a darn good replacement. And Stel has such good buddies at WW--Claire, Harriet, Audrey, O, Cecile, and of course now you.
When Mary made her announcement Stel thought, "Now this is the kind of news that would make a WW fall off the proverbial wagon--trying to eat away the loss of a mentor like Mary." Then later today she was thinking, "Since I have decided I want to be thin, why on earth would I want to punish myself by overeating because Mary is leaving?" Because that is what Stel would be doing: punishing herself by going back to something she has declared that she does not want to be. Interesting. If Stel were on the therapeutic couch her therapist would ask her the same question: "So you are punishing yourself because Mary is leaving, because that is what it boils down to. Mary is leaving, so you must have done something wrong or she would have stayed. And so to punish yourself you must get fat again?" Crazy? Insane? Not really.
That is exactly what goes on in some minds when they feel rejected. Although Mary is not rejecting us, saying "good bye" is not exactly a "hello" is it?
Don't know if anyone gets this, but it made sense to Stel, today.
AND Congratulations on the loss of poundage. Continue to love yourself. You deserve to be thin! You deserve it! Stel was so thrilled with the one pound she was stunned into disbelief. Awesome work all around!