8.14.2006

Day Forty-Five

Some days you never know where you're gonna end up. Today we decided to take a drive out to this little snack shack that we had seen on the bike path in El Segundo. The day of our long bike ride, we had stopped for a hot dog and I admired the great looking sandwiches. Cut to today...horrible traffic, bad parking experience and the darn place was closed. Next thing you know we're on the freeway back toward home and within minutes we're sitting in Hof's Hut.

If I hadn't learned the things I've learned on the WW program, I would have easily suffered from food anxiety. Having planned for one type of lunch and ending up with something totally different. But WW is for real people in the real world. You don't have to eat off a list of "authorized" foods. You can eat a bigger meal for lunch and compensate with a lighter dinner. I had a great chicken sandwich on a wheat bun with some fresh fruit and soup. It was a great lunch.

We even got a little exercise in during the late afternoon. The intention was a leisurely walk around the neighborhood, but we were going at a good pace, got the blood moving. It is so good for me to do that periodically, even if it means taking a break from something I "need" to get done. I used to feel like exercise was something that got in the way of my schedule. Now I appreciate it for its rejuvenating qualities. Taking a break to get some fresh air can make you more productive when you get back to whatever you were doing.

I also remembered something today that requires an addendum to a previous post. I had mentioned that I have been a size 18 for longer than I can recall. That's not really true. In the months leading up to me starting WW, I bought a few items of clothing that were size 20. It was hugely discouraging to have to go up a size after all those years. I think that was the first spark that began the WW fire. I remember thinking at that time that if I had gone up a size, I could easily continue going up. And I definitely didn't want that. It was clearly time for a decision, and I'm glad I made the right one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Real people in a real world. Yes! That's us, just thinner:-)