7.29.2006

Day 29: Weigh In

All is not lost, the sweaty weather did not do me in as I had expected. As of today's weigh in, I've lost 11lbs. 4oz., down 1lb. 8oz. from last week. The topic of discussion at the WW meeting was losing weight alone vs. having the support of others. Pretty appropriate because I had just been thinking this morning that I feel like a welcome member of our local group. For me, my weight has always been a very private and personal part of my life. But coming into this group breaks down a lot of walls and encourages quick bonding because others are sharing their private battles, too.

I also came away from today's meeting with a new appreciation for how unique each person's weight loss journey is. We tend to think that what works for someone else can't possibly work for us, because we're "different." And in some cases it's true, not all weight loss methods work for every person. But the fact is, if you're eating healthier and getting active, your body is bound to respond in some way. You won't lose 60 pound in one week, but there will be some change. It's basic cause and effect. The smaller details like how often and what type of exercise to do, or favorite snacks and frequency of splurges, those are the things that are tailored to the individual. But they can all live happily within the WW program.

We also talked today about celebrating the small milestones along the way. One of the women used this great metaphor of a marathon runner who depends on water bearers along the road for refreshment. She said the runner doesn't just go from start to finish with no in-between. They receive encouragement and confirmation of how far they've come all along the way. I used to think it would be a sign of weakness for me to join a weight loss program to do something that I should be able to do "on my own." But those resources are simply the refreshment I need to keep me going.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a great metaphor. It is just a great way to think about life in general. Those who support you on your way--those who actually quench your thirst, those waiting at the end of the road to share the victory, those you inspire on your journey and decide to run alongside. Gads. This weight loss stuff isn't for shallow Hals-- we is deep!