7.09.2006

Day Nine

Telling people you're on WW is like admitting to them that you're fat. Not that they couldn't see your fat with their own two eyes, but you're letting them know that you too can in fact see your own fatness. This is one of the main things that kept me from ever committing to a diet or a program like WW. I didn't want to have to have conversations about it with people. If you tell someone you're on a weight loss program, what you get in return is either a look of pity, like "we'll see how long that lasts," or if they really care about you, they'll ask questions that make you actually face your feelings, and that's just scary.

But at this point, I really don't care. I can see I'm fat, you can see I'm fat, everyone else sees it too. My hope is that if I share with anyone about joining WW, they'll see that I'm taking a positive step, doing something proactive. And if they don't, oh well. I'm not doing this for them anyway.

Went back to the beach this morning. Was shocked that the first leg of my walk seemed to be over in a few minutes. I started wondering if I wasn't being rigorous enough or something because it felt much easier than before. I'm hoping this means my body is becoming accustomed to activity, which would be a good thing.

Oh and I found a new love...WW blueberry muffins. They're three points each, but certainly worth every point. Other things I'm enjoying more of now are vegetables and light cheeses, wheat bread, pickles and this spray on salad dressing stuff from Wishbone. Have switched over to nonfat milk completely and it's really not bad at all. And a surprising number of condiments are free...that's right, 0 points!

One thing I have to remember to do is to carry some kind of light snack with me to work. I get so hungry in the morning, even after having oatmeal or Cheerios. And if I don't start bringing a healthier snack, I'm way more inclined to dive into that candy bucket that sits tauntingly right behind my desk. They need to put a padlock on that thing.

No comments: